Changemaker Social Action
Below is a small example, I don’t just want a quick couple of sentences for each steps.
I decided about the issue of breast cancer and how it affects about 1 in 8 U.S. women (about 13%) will develop invasive breast cancer over the course of her lifetime. Discuss what breast cancer is/your topic is and why there is a need for addressing this topic/your topic in the community. Why did you choose your topic? Breast Cancer Awareness became my passion because I conquered it and I have a story to tell/why you choose your topic and why your partnering with your organization? I partnered with various organizations to raise money for breast cancer research. The organizations are UM Sylvester Comprehensive Breast Cancer Center, SunServe, American Cancer Society…etc…Define each organization and their mission statements. I am going to have throughout Breast Cancer Awareness month in October numerous fundraising events. I will create a website or social media that will promote my events. I will volunteer, present or perform at each event. Why did you choose this problem and if in the future you could work on the problem, how would you hope to solve the problem. What would your outcome look like? Hopefully, some of you will pursue your project after our course is over.
Expand on each of these steps:
Steps of a Social Action Project:
1. Learn about the issue and identify a specific problem within that issue on which to focus.
2. Identify stakeholders and needs/resources of the community affected by that issue.
a. Stakeholders are the people involved in an issue – those impacted by the issue, those who can influence or create change, etc.
b. Assess the needs and strengths of the community related to your issue. Are other organizations working on the same issue? Are there needs in your community not being addressed?
3. Find an organization that you would like to partner with/Research an organization..
4. Choose an action and then create a plan to carry out your project in the future because this class is too short.
5. In the future Implement your action project.
6. Why did you choose this problem and if in the future you could work on the problem, how would you hope to solve the problem. What would your outcome look like?