Do you think that free will and determinism can coexist in any way?
For this Discussion Board, you will write a dialogue between yourself and an imaginary Socrates. You will debate the question of free will versus determinism. Remember that the Socratic Method involves asking a series of questions to clarify key words and ideas. In your dialogue, the imaginary Socrates should be asking clarifying questions, and you will be answering them. Please refer to the excerpt from Plato’s Meno as an example to model your dialogue. This post should be 200 words.
Your post should be a dialogue, which may address the following questions, using the Socratic Method:
- Do you agree that every event has an explanatory cause?
- How do you define human choice? How do you define human event? Are they different?
- Do you agree that to have an explanatory cause is to not be free?
- How do you define free?
- Do you think that free will and determinism can coexist in any way?
- Is it possible to have external determinism and internal free will?
To have cohesion and reach solid conclusions, your imaginary Socrates may ask you more questions than the ones listed above. Be sure to include all of the above ideas in your dialogue.