Social Change Through Policy
(Need to read all the link and watch the video)
Alicia Garza, co-founder of Black Lives Matter writes, “when Black people get free, everybody gets free.” See here for source (Links to an external site.).
Remember this as you consider the policy proposals suggested in these selections. Focusing on intensely marginalized communities in social change efforts (in policywork and beyond) is smart because other social groups benefit from broader extension of justice and social resources to the community! Also, importantly, it is politically and ethically sound.
This week’s discussion prompt asks you to:
- Summarize The Movement For Black Lives (MBL) Policy Platform–citing it throughout
- Create an outline for your final essay
- Discuss one or more elements of our policy readings (this week and last week’s readings) that will inform your policy–citing source(s) throughout.
You know the process well by now:
Prompt Guidelines (Review)
- Respond to all parts of the prompt
- Clearly number your responses
- Engage with and cite assigned sources in your initial response
- Use full sentences and paragraphs; write clearly and succinctly
- Your initial post should be a minimum of 400 words, each peer response a minimum of 100 words each
- For further guidance on this assignment please REVIEW materials from the Week 2 Module