Describe an IDS, an IDPS and how they differ.
Cybersecurity is everyone’s business as you learned throughout the quarter. You have been exposed to a variety of security fundamentals which need to be applied to all organizations – to include non-profits and government. Since cybersecurity is such a vast field, I am sure there are some areas which you find more appealing than others. Maybe you like the hardware/software part of protecting a network, or maybe you really enjoy writing policy. The final essay question will play upon what you enjoy the most.
For the final essay exam, find a current topic in IT and apply at least 2 of the concepts/areas you learned and found interesting throughout the quarter. You may use your textbook and any other resources surrounding the topic. Discuss in your paper about the security aspects of your topic.
APA style citations is required and the length of the paper is 3-5 pages. Provide a bibliography at the end of your paper.
You must upload your answers to all questions in a single PDF document.
1) Which of the three characteristics of the CIA triangle is most directly affected by a DDOS attack? Provide a real-world example.
2) Biometrics are an example of what authentication factor? Provide 2 examples of biometrics.
3) Describe an IDS, an IDPS and how they differ. Your answer should be no more than two or three sentences.
4) Define and provide an example of defense in depth.
5) Most of the description of risk assessment in the textbook assumes that you are able to assign numerical values to quantities such as the likelihood of the risk occurring (a percentage) and the loss magnitude (a dollar amount). But that’s not always possible. Instead, you may just choose to use a general scale such as low, medium, high, or very high. What type of assessment is this known as?
This assessment is broken into two parts.
For the first part of the assessment, read the case study on page 537-538 in the textbook. Then flip to pages 576-577 in the back of Chapter 10. Answers the Discussion Questions under Case Exercises. No need to answer the Ethical Decision Making questions.
For the second part of the assessment, flip to the Exercises section on page 576 and answer questions #3 and #4.
In Chapter 5, you were exposed to how to calculate the Annual Rate of Occurrence (ARO) and the Annualized Loss Expectancy (ALE) (page 304-305). For this assessment, you are going to answer questions 3 & 4 on page 320-321 in the textbook.
Build a table in Word or Excel to calculate your answers for question #3. Somewhere on your document, show your work on how you came up with the ARO and ALE (at least one time so I know you are on the right track).
Build a table in Word or Excel to answer question #4. In this table, ensure you match the entry with the process used to determine the cost per incident and frequency of occurrence.